We believe that lives transformed by Christ result in action that transforms our world. Christ UMC takes this commitment to heart in various missions. Now, in response to the housing crisis in the Portland area, and especially the 65.8% of older adults in Washington County who pay more than 30% of their income for housing, we are seeking to utilize our assets to do the most good by creating affordable housing for seniors.
• 53 apartments for seniors earning 60% AMI or less
- 14 2BD/2BA
- 13 2BD/1BA
- 26 1BD/1BA
• 26 units dedicated to very-low income seniors, earning 30% AMI or less
• 2,200 sq/ft community space
• Green materials and features, high energy efficiency
• Designed to preserve trees and outdoor community space
LGBT Older Adults . . .
• are twice as likely to be single,
• are 3-4 times less likely to have children,
• frequently estranged from families of origin,
• report to have experienced discrimination in housing (48%), and
• fear the need to "re-closet" in senior living communities (34%).*
Christ UMC will partner with Friendly House | SAGE to create services and a community that are safe for all older adults, especially those who have been historically discriminated based on sexuality, gender identity, and race.
In order to overcome fears of discrimination, we believe it crucial to promote this development as a "welcoming" housing community from the day we break ground.
We could not do this alone, and we would not dare. We've joined hands with organizations and agencies to ensure the greatest good possible. Thank you for partnering with us.
DEVELOPMENT CONSULTANTS: HOME FIRST DEVELOPMENT
Home First Development is a mission focused affordable housing development agency, bringing over 20 years experience, having built over 500 units across Oregon and SW Washington. They currently have over 200 units under construction.
SUPPORT SERVICES COORDINATION: FRIENDLY HOUSE | SAGE METRO PORTLAND
Friendly House, a non-profit social service organization and community center, has been serving older adults in the Portland area since 1930. In 2000, Friendly House formed Sage Metro Portland to serve older LGBT community members through information & referral, case management, education, advocacy, outreach, and resource development.
- CHRIST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (Sponsor/Executive Director/Owner)
- WASHINGTON COUNTY (Metro Bond Grant for Affordable Housing)
- KEY BANK (Loan Financing)
- DISABILITY, AGING AND VETERAN SERVICES, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington County
- COMMITTEE ON BUILDING AND LOCATION, Columbia District, United Methodist Church
- PORTSMOUTH UNION CHURCH, and the Leaven Community Land & Housing Coalition
Join us in changing lives and creating this affordable housing development for seniors.
Our goal is to raise $150,000 this summer to make this possibility a reality. You can make a "pledge gift" by filling out this form to the right.
Or you can make a direct gift through our secure online giving service. Just click here.
All donations are tax deductible.
For any questions, please contact our office.
This form may capture sensitive data (credit cards, bank accounts…), yet this site isn’t sufficiently secured.
Please contact the site administrator to resolve this issue. He must enable SSL.
This form failed to load. Try reloading this page.
The server may be having issues, or this website’s administrator may have deleted the form.